Back home

When I chose to participate in this project I was living a phase of frustration and immobility: I couldn't find a steady job in my field of study, I was struggling to maintain economic independence, I was feeling powerless and hopeless. I chose to leave to "unplug", pause everything, freeze my life as I knew it at that moment and change. Change  country, change house, change friends, change job, change language, change everything. And that was just what I needed. Moving from life in a big city to life on a small island in the Mediterranean Sea really allowed me to change pace and perspective. Getting away from the frenzy of the metropolis to live in Menorca, at its slower rhythms and in connection with nature, allowed me to free myself from a lot of superstructures, conventions and social pressures that oppressed and worried me. Living on an island with agricultural traditions (recently converted to tourism, but not excessively exploited), where distances and social connections are those of a big village, has helped me to reconnect with nature, with myself and with my needs . I realized that the city fills us with induced needs, and that, we can actually live (better) with the essential. Less is more. I found very relaxing living in the small municipality of Sant Lluís, where everything is efficient and functional, the municipal employees are relaxed and in a good mood, the educational services are innovative, the cultural plan is full of events and there is great sensibility to the ecological theme.

I'm just back to Italy and I am still lost and confused. Maybe even more than before. I still have no idea of what I want to do in life. But, now, this doesn't distress me anymore. I am more peaceful and confident. And I keep in my memory the "mental photographs" of the most significant moments of this year and the most spectacular images of this island. The lighthouses, the mills, the beaches, the coves, the emerald water, the sea baths, the dives, the fishes, the sea gulls, the milà, the owls, the hedgehogs, the turtles, the poseidonia, the dolphins, the plankton, the sea urchins, the starfishes, the shooting stars, the Milky Way, the full moon, the red moon, the new moon, the sunsets, the beach parties, the pool parties, the house parties, the barbecues, the pomada, the laughs , the tears, the children's smiles, the games, the snacks, the scuba diving, the excursions, the bike rides, the horseback rides, the car rides, the archaeological sites, the trips, the people, the friendships, the bonds...

2nd November 2019 - 2nd November 2020 
Thank you very much to all the people I met during this incredible year and accompanied me in this great experience.


Macarella beach, Menorca,  May 2020


Commenti