Menorcan winter memories

It's a while I'm home again, now. It's been kind of weird to be in Italy again, all of a sudden, after 12 months of Spanish talking, Spanish food and Spanish landscapes. But I got used again very fast to my old life, and now, the whole Menorca expierience feels already like it's very far away. But I was there just over two weeks ago. Odd. It's incredible how fast we adapt to new life condition.

I kind of miss the island life, but, given the circumstances of the global pandemic, I prefer to be here with my family. And moreover, I don't miss the Minorcan winter very much. Last November and December were kind of hard for me, because I wasn't used (and still am not) to Menorcan wet cold. It's tricky, because the temperatures are pretty warm, reaching 16°-18°C most of the days. In sunny days you could walk around without jacket and some days just in t-shirt. But. Don't forget the wind. Never forget the wind. When Tramontana blows, the sky fills up with clouds and the temperatures quickly plummet. And there is a lot of humidity, so it's that kind of cold that you feel inside and can not defeat even if you put a lot of clothes on. And worst of all, inside the houses is very cold too (sometimes more than outside). Most of the houses do not have a heating system, people is used to live without it or with just small electric heater. The houses are built with a sandstone material (marès) that is not isolating, and on the contrary, it gets soaked, letting the humidity filter inside. It is not uncommon for the interior walls of houses to become covered with mold in winter. 

So I'm kind of glad to spend here the winter this year. But I'm surely gonna miss the warm February days and the winter swimming in the sea.


Excursion to Cala Pilar in December 2019


Breakfast on the terrace in December 2019



Sunset in Binibeca in November 2019

 


Commenti